Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Maximize your grocery budget part 1

THIS IS PART ONE OF A THREE PART SERIES


I decided to write a series on how to maxamize your grocery budget.  With the price of everything going up expecially food, I thought it would be a good time to share some of my thoughts.

1. GET TO KNOW THE STORES IN YOUR AREA

This is an important first step. Take some time to visit each one and find out about them.  There is alot of difference between stores.  Not all grocery stores are created equal! 

2. CHECK OUT THE PRICES ON BASICS

See how it compares to what you have been paying. Sometimes we really do pay for convienence. Make a list of everyday prices on the things that you use most. Compare prices and see what you may be paying for convienence. It may just shock you. 

3.  WHERE ARE THE DISCOUNT BINS/SHELVES IN YOUR STORE?

If you do not know, find out!   There is a world of bargins to be found in the discount areas.  A word of advice A bargin is good only if you will use the product, otherwise it is a waste of money.  Avoid the temptation to buy something because it is a good deal.  I have to ask myself  "Would I buy this if it were not on sale?" If in doubt pass it up.

4. WHEN DOES YOUR STORE DISCOUNT MEATS, BREADS AND OTHER STUFF

Knowing when your store puts out discounted  items can really maxamize your savings.  We have one store that does in the morning and another that does in the evenings. Having that information gives me an advantage to know when to shop that particular store. I hardly ever pay full price for my meats( I can't afford it) I always buy when discounted and use right away or freeze it.

5. SIGN UP FOR THE STORES INTERNET NEWSLETTER

The stores in my area have internet coupons, and special sales only for those signed up to recieve their news letters.

6. KEEP YOUR EYES OPENED FOR UNADVERTISED/MANAGERS SPECIALS

My main shopping store is full of unadvertised specials.  They do not advertise very much.  The theory is that if they spend less on advertising they can pass the savings on to you.  Each store has their own style, look about for signs. One of our stores has blue signs, another has yellow ones.  Train your eyes to see them. I have saved a ton just watching for those signs. Another store in our area has a sign right by the front door listing the managers specials.  


7. CHOOSE WHICH STORE IS THE BEST STORE FOR YOU TO SHOP.

Once you have had a chance to try out the stores you will have the information you need to choose one or possibly two stores to shop.  There are some who spend time running all about town cherry picking the best deals from each of the stores, but my life is to busy for such things. I used to do that when I had more time. But for now I have picked one main store. My main store is a bit further out, but they have lower prices on the basics. They have a deeper discount on meats usually 50% off as compared to the other stores 25-30%. When you add the unadvertised specials on top of that, it makes the 6 mile drive worth it.

Armed with a bit of information you can make a choice that works for you.











No comments:

Post a Comment